Car towbar / parts parts
It is necessary to choose your car model, otherwise you risk buying an item that does not fit. Please note that our search function only provides results relevant to a certain vehicle type.
Towbar / parts parts for car
Trailer hitch car spares for Top Car brand
Trailer hitch: parts for top car models
Towbar / parts car parts - all important information about operating method, mounting, diagnostics and service life
Towbars are mechanisms used to attach a trailer to a car and tow it. They provide an even distribution of the load created by inertia and the weight of the trailer. They contribute to safe cargo transportation.
Design of towbars
The towing device consists of the following components:
- Beam. This is attached to the body stiffeners or frame using bolts.
- Mount. This is attached to the beam. It is designed to hold the ball. In some mechanisms, the mount and the ball are a single piece.
- Ball. This is the main component of the coupling mechanism. It is attached to the beam or mount with the help of bolts, welding, or a special locking mechanism. There are rotary and folding mechanisms, which can easily be hidden under the vehicle after use.
- Coupling head. This is mounted on the trailer’s drawbar. It has a recess for the diameter of the ball and a special locking lever.
- Socket. This is used to power the trailer’s tail lights.
- Clean and lubricate the ball regularly to protect it from wear and tear. Use special caps to prevent contamination and to keep it lubricated. They help protect products from environmental impacts when the trailer is not connected to the vehicle. If your car is equipped with a quick-release system, you will not need a cap.
- Use graphite grease to protect parts from corrosion and abrasion. However, be aware that there are dry friction mechanisms for which lubrication is not required. Therefore, before starting work, study the technical recommendations of the automaker.
- Keep an eye on the geometric parameters of the ball, in particular the diameter. Its shrinking by at least 1 mm may cause the trailer to detach while driving.
- Use a torque wrench to check the threaded connections for tightness every 1000 km.
- Do not use a towbar for towing. You could bend the beam and disrupt the shape of the auto body.
- Do not transport loads that are too heavy. Please note that the maximum allowable load is reduced by almost half when driving on unpaved roads.
Towbar defects are usually detected on inspection. Deformation of the beam, loose fasteners, and corroded parts indicate that the mechanism is faulty. Play in the joint indicates abrasion of the ball or head. An inability to switch on all the lights mounted on a trailer may indicate a faulty socket or electrical wiring.
A lack or complete absence of lubrication as well as the ingress of dirt cause abrasive wear of the ball and head’s surfaces. Towing a trailer that’s too heavy or failing to follow transportation guidelines can cause the mechanism to deform or break.
autodoc.co.uk: Only high-quality automotive products
Do you like active outdoor activities but your boot can’t store all the things you need? In our online store, you can buy a towbar for a vehicle of any brand or model. Our catalogue contains products for different payloads. You can easily find exactly what you need.
Top 15 of best sellers from the Trailer hitch section
Recommended spare parts from the Towbar / parts section. These are the sales hits. Buy our best sellling items or discover a vast selection of other attractive offers.